找回密码
 注册
搜索
热搜: shell linux mysql
查看: 940|回复: 9

newly-built LFS 6.3 bootup with some problem

[复制链接]
发表于 2010-3-30 23:42:03 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
sorry, can somebody take a look at this problem i'm having and kindly advise?

FYI:
- LFS6.3, newly built this night;
- It's in VMWare. i'm using the virtual machine to deal with it right now.

This problem is kind of not being able to access the ROOT partition i specify in the menu.lst for Grub.

Have googled this topic, and re-built the kernel using the working /proc/config.gz copy as the .config for the new kernel.

I can make sure that the /etc/fstab is correct, and there're no things like initrd being used by the LFS.

BTW, the layout of the virtual hard disk:
/dev/sda1, some 3.4G, ext3, as /;
/dev/sda2, some 680M, swap as swap;

so during grub setup:
root (hd0,0)
setup (hd0)
quit

and the menu.lst for grub is like this:
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/lfskernel-2.6.22.5 root=/dev/sda1

anything abnormal you could see for me? thanks in advance for any kind of help here.

cheers! and sorry right now there's no way for me to input chinese.

本帖子中包含更多资源

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有帐号?注册

x
发表于 2010-3-31 00:59:31 | 显示全部楼层
Post by w2j3c4;2079265
sorry, can somebody take a look at this problem i'm having and kindly advise?

FYI:
- LFS6.3, newly built this night;
- It's in VMWare. i'm using the virtual machine to deal with it right now.

This problem is kind of not being able to access the ROOT partition i specify in the menu.lst for Grub.

Have googled this topic, and re-built the kernel using the working /proc/config.gz copy as the .config for the new kernel.

I can make sure that the /etc/fstab is correct, and there're no things like initrd being used by the LFS.

BTW, the layout of the virtual hard disk:
/dev/sda1, some 3.4G, ext3, as /;
/dev/sda2, some 680M, swap as swap;

so during grub setup:
root (hd0,0)
setup (hd0)
quit

and the menu.lst for grub is like this:
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/lfskernel-2.6.22.5 root=/dev/sda1

anything abnormal you could see for me? thanks in advance for any kind of help here.

cheers! and sorry right now there's no way for me to input chinese.

"doscsi" add the end of [kernel /boot/lfskernel-2.6.22.5 root=/dev/sda1]
-。- good luck
otherwise you should check the options which match your virtual box's hardware, especially scsi . then remake the kernel.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2010-3-31 02:13:11 | 显示全部楼层
it mostly like a VMWARE SCSI support issue.

1. check your VMWARE SCSI type and add scsi support in kernel
some reference about vmware scsi support here: http://imghch.com/doc/bk04ch01s01.html
it is very useful.

2. check ext3 support in kernel

by the way, it is useless about /proc/config.gz, it is your running kernel configuration. If running kernel configuration does not have the support, rebuild will not too.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2010-3-31 20:21:23 | 显示全部楼层
want to say thank you 2 brothers so very much, really.

yeah, seems i'll have to look into the vmware-related scsi things regarding the issue i'm having.

actually i just wanted to make sure that i made nothing else wrong other than this possible one. you know to build the kernel takes time, which is quite a luxury for me right now. heavily burdened during spare time.

@serveronly bro, thanks and i'll read that link and do needful changes before rebuilding the kernel. i successfully built the kernel while working with gentoo a few months back, but with a different machine, which is a physical computer. so most probably i could do this by myself. just a matter of time. and would approach you for help if in any kinds of complex trouble.

BTW, guyes you could just write me back in chinese. i could read chinese chars here correctly. i just didn't bother to install the chinese input method here in linux since most of the time i'm not using chinese any more. i just don't want to spend so much time on things like this. just write me back in chinese. it's ok.

and, more, if you're interested in catching up your english so that you could find more opportunities outside china, i'd like to re-direct you to http://www.eslpod.com for more information. let me know if i could be of any bit of help on this for you bros.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2010-3-31 21:44:52 | 显示全部楼层
Post by ServerOnly;2079280
it mostly like a VMWARE SCSI support issue.

1. check your VMWARE SCSI type and add scsi support in kernel
some reference about vmware scsi support here: http://imghch.com/doc/bk04ch01s01.html
it is very useful.

2. check ext3 support in kernel

by the way, it is useless about /proc/config.gz, it is your running kernel configuration. If running kernel configuration does not have the support, rebuild will not too.

bro, the VMWare version i'm using is "7.0.1 build-227600". which is the place where i could find whether i'm using BusLogin or LSI Logic. acutally i did read others' posts regarding being careful with choosing this or that, but seemed to me at that time i didn't have this chance. wonder what was wrong with this? i'm using the vmware under linux, specifially ubuntu minimal+lubuntu desktop. i'll check more using google soon.

Update: somebody mentioned this, "As per my understanding Linux VM's support only LSILogic."
-thanks.

as for the ext3, i think i should have enabled that while building the kernel last time.

and, /proc/config.gz: i used the lfs livecd v6.3 to start the computer, and everything seemed to me to be working normally, so i thoght it might doable for me. unfortunately it didn't. thanks anyway for mentioning this.

many thanks for your work.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2010-3-31 23:14:28 | 显示全部楼层

now the basic system is working

Post by w2j3c4;2079498

yeah, seems i'll have to look into the vmware-related scsi things regarding the issue i'm having.

actually i just wanted to make sure that i made nothing else wrong other than this possible one. you know to build the kernel takes time, which is quite a luxury for me right now. heavily burdened during spare time.

@serveronly bro, thanks and i'll read that link and do needful changes before rebuilding the kernel. i successfully built the kernel while working with gentoo a few months back, but with a different machine, which is a physical computer. so most probably i could do this by myself. just a matter of time. and would approach you for help if in any kinds of complex trouble.

BTW, guyes you could just write me back in chinese. i could read chinese chars here correctly. i just didn't bother to install the chinese input method here in linux since most of the time i'm not using chinese any more. i just don't want to spend so much time on things like this. just write me back in chinese. it's ok.

and, more, if you're interested in catching up your english so that you could find more opportunities outside china, i'd like to re-direct you to http://www.eslpod.com for more information. let me know if i could be of any bit of help on this for you bros.

hi bros, want to share with you that not the basic system is working now ;)

but the  network seems not to be working right now. will get back to this later. very tired  now....time to go to bed!

good night everybody, and good luck!
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2010-4-1 23:02:38 | 显示全部楼层
Hey man, please censor your ad on the 4th floor.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2010-4-1 23:44:58 | 显示全部楼层
Post by w2j3c4;2079498

抱歉抱歉,你用英文发的,以为你看不到中文。没怎么多想,就用英文回了。英文不太好,意思有表达到吧?现在想想也对,看不到中文怎么会跑到中文社区里来发贴呢?呵呵,下次会提醒自己这里是中文社区,要用中文。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2010-4-2 17:29:41 | 显示全部楼层
Post by d00m3d;2079875
Hey man, please censor your ad on the 4th floor.

it's really good for chinese to catch up english, really.

anyway, it's from my personal perspective. so if you're not interested in, forget about it. actually with any languages we're good at, we could do everything we want. just because right now i'm in such an environment

thanks for the help bro. now it's working.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2010-4-2 17:33:24 | 显示全部楼层
Post by U571;2079893
抱歉抱歉,你用英文发的,以为你看不到中文。没怎么多想,就用英文回了。英文不太好,意思有表达到吧?现在想想也对,看不到中文怎么会跑到中文社区里来发贴呢?呵呵,下次会提醒自己这里是中文社区,要用中文。

no prob bro, i'm ok. see i got it running normally right now

so what you mentioned for that did work!

i should say sorry to all for writing in english here all the time. maybe let's use skype to talk? i do speak chinse all the time at home, and very fluently

good friday!
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表